Parmesan Cauliflower Tater Tots
With the holidays just around the corner why not try something new. How about new and healthy, but tastes indulgent? These Parmesan Cauliflower Tater Tots deliver just that without leaving you feeling guilty for overeating!
Whether you’re serving these for yourself, guests at a dinner or cocktail party, or to your children, I think you’ll agree these taste sensational!
Even if you’re not a fan of cauliflower, these so called “tater tots” almost look like chicken nuggets but honestly taste even better.
Quick to prepare and with just a few steps – these Cauliflower Tater Tots will be gone in the blink of an eye. Serve as an appetizer, side, or even a meal.
I like them plain, but you might prefer dipping them into ketchup or your favorite aioli!
Besides being so tasty, cauliflower comes with a host of health benefits:
- fights cancer
- enhances heart heath
- boosts brain function
- helps combat inflammation
- can aid in weight loss
- rich in antioxidants which can actually aid to detoxify
- strengthens bones
- improves digestive health
- improves kidney health
- enhances vision
- balances hormones
- increases blood flow
- improves skin texture and hair health
Plus cauliflower is a highly nutritional vegetable.
While many may not think of this veggie as a top choice to serve at your table, you may want to rethink that.
I hope you’ll try this recipe, and please let me know what you think, and everyone you serve it to. I believe it will become a new staple at your dinner table, and for your entire family.
Parmesan Cauliflower Tater Tots
- *1 medium head cauliflower (a bout 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 3/4 cup course dry whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- Canola or Olive oil cooking spray
- Place steamer rack in the bottom of a pot. Add enough water to come to the bottom of the rack. Add cauliflower and steam, with lid on, until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain in a colander. Return the cauliflower to the pot and dry over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash cauliflower until it resembles clumpy rice. Transfer to a large bowl to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Stir flour and cheese into the cooled cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg whites. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to hang over the edges. Spread cauliflower mixture into the pan, compacting it into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in freezer until very cold, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread Panko on a plate. Turn the cauliflower mixture onto a cutting board, removing the plastic wrap. Cut into 36 pieces or desired size/shape. Roll the pieces into the Panko, turning to coat all sides. Place on a baking sheet, about 1 inch apart
- Coat the tots with cooking spray. Bake, turning once half-way through, until browned, 35-45 minutes.
Good to see you update the blog, Vicki. Those tater tots look so crisp and I love that they are lower carb too.
Thanks Angie. I know I’ve been a bit neglectful. Have had a lot going on.
I hope you try the tater tots they’re so good and addicting!
I think I’m missing something. Where is the recipe listed? Thank you.
Nicole thank you. I forgot to add a cue to post the recipe. Thank you. It’s up here now.
Mmmmm, these look terrific!!! What a yummy addition to our dinner menu!
They’d be perfect for dinner or for appetizers at a dinner or cocktail party. They are surprisingly delicious!
Such an interesting recipe! These look like they’re loaded with flavor. Nice appetizer, though I’d be tempted to share a batch with Mrs KR for dinner. 🙂
They are so tasty. Of course you can doctor them up with more spices or another finely grated cheese, but they’re perfect just the way they are IMO. Hope you and the Mrs give these a try. Have a great weekend!
Wow this is really too good about the parmesan cauliflower tater tots thanks sharing this article