Cookie Tacos a Fun Twist on Cookies!
I hope you had a great holiday this past weekend. I’ve been busy with life and work lately, so my posts have been a bit sporadic I’m afraid. I hope you’ll forgive me.
The weather here in the Midwest is warming up – in fact it feels like summer, hot & humid already! Meals around my house have been on the lighter side with salads, fruit, grilled dishes and of course with the heat, ice cream is always a favorite.
Last weekend for Memorial Day I wasn’t really sure what we were doing. I didn’t know if we’d be going someplace, or if my husband and I would be dining just the two of us, or if our kids would be here. At the last minute I found out both kids would be joining us. Not sure what to prepare other than having some chicken breasts on hand, and chocolate chips, I looked through my cabinets trying to come up with some creative recipes.
The weather was warm that day but with a nice breeze – I felt like we were in the Caribbean. I spotted all sorts of goodies in my cabinets, that I’ll be sharing in my next post, where I decided to create Caribbean Chicken Breasts over Coconut Rice topped with a Mango Salsa. It was wonderful! More about that in my upcoming post.
As for dessert – since we’re all fans of sweets in my house, I found some chocolate sauce in the refrigerator and frozen vanilla yogurt along with a bag of mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and Heath Bar chips, to go with my chocolate chips. Hmm, what should I create?
I decided to make Cookie Tacos using the recipe my family loves best, Chocolate Brickle Sensations. Then with each Cookie Taco I’d top it with 2 scoops of frozen vanilla yogurt, chocolate sauce, sprinkles and cut up pieces of mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
Well, you can imagine what a hit these were! With the one I created for this photo I placed it in the freezer after photographing so it wouldn’t melt everywhere. Guess who ate it? Yes, my husband – bit by bit as I would head back to the freezer it slowly disappeared until just the plate was left. My husband is my biggest critic so when he devours something, I know it’s a winner.
This recipe is really quite simple. The trickiest part is taking your cookie and lying it over a rolling pin or the cardboard that paper towels wrap around (wrap with foil). The cookie will separate a bit when you do this, but if left to cool completely it will shape firmly into what resembles a taco. They’re so fun to look at, and fill with your favorite goodies!
Here’s my recipe………….
For a fun twist on cookies with a bit of pizzazz, try my Cookie Tacos!
- Chocolate Brickle Sensations recipe
- frozen vanilla yogurt or your favorite
- chocolate sauce
- mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- thin rolling pin or cardboard for paper towels wrapped in foil
- Prepare Chocolate Brickle Sensations or your favorite cookie recipe. NOTE: Only prepare as many cookies at a time, that you have rolling pins or paper towel rods to place them on. Once the dough is prepared, using a large ice cream scoop, scoop out dough and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. With the ball of your hand, flatten out the dough to create a large circle. Bake as directed for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven and allow to set for about 1 minute. Carefully remove cookies one at a time and place on the rolling pins. Allow to cool completely. Cookies will look like they are tearing but if left to cool will become firm enough to pick up without falling apart.
- Place cooled Cookie Tacos on a platter with toppings on the side. Have family and friends fill their own as desired. Serve with a spoon, or pick up and eat like a taco. The latter will be messy!
I only made enough Cookie Tacos to serve my family and the one I photographed. The rest of the dough I made little cookies to nibble on. Our Cookie Tacos, and cookies are long gone!
What a great and fun idea!!! Blessings dear. Catherine
Looks delish! My boyfriend loves sweets so I’ll definitely be making these soon!!
Such a fun idea, Vicki. I would love to fill my with banana ice cream!
Have a lovely weekend!
How cool is that! Love that taco cookie. Thanks, Vicki!
These look so delicious , wait till my kids see this and I am sure they will ask for it everyday. Mango salsa..wow I’ll be waiting for this recipe.
Cookie tacos? Works for me! I love combining the flavors of cookies and ice cream, and this is such a great way to do it. Thanks!
These look right up my alley! What a great idea! And perfect for when all the family is home for a meal 🙂
What a great idea, Vicki, and one I’ll be sure to duplicate in the near future! These will be so much fun to serve.
What an absolutely fun idea!!!! Perfect for the hot summer we’re expecting. Thanks Vicki!