It’s been years since I’ve had an Apricot Delight. This delectable treat could be found at Bissinger’s Chocolate stores back about 10 years ago.
I loved the Apricot Delights. I was able to satisfy my sweet tooth without overdoing it and get a dose of fruit as well.
The other day while shopping I stopped off at the Bissinger’s counter while at the mall and saw a chocolate dipped dried apricot. I debated purchasing one but decided not to. Then when I got home I thought, “I can recreate those Apricot Delights” and that’s exactly what I did.
While I’m sure that Bissinger’s probably made their caramel from scratch I decided to try these with some caramels that I already had on hand and much to my surprise they were very close to the real deal!
Apricot Delights were simple caramel dipped dried apricots rolled in crushed pecans.
They may not sound that good to you but trust me they’re terrific!
I like that I was able to whip these up so quickly without making a homemade batch of caramels. Although I will say that I’d love to dip the apricots in a batch of my Salted Chocolate Caramels recipe. Oh my those are so tasty on their own. I can only imagine how they’d taste on a dried apricot.
I also just used the dried apricots that they sell in the stores. However, now that I know how easy these can be I will definitely opt for the premium dried apricots next time to create for gifts or dessert when company comes. Premium apricots will be larger and fuller than those you can purchase in your traditional market.
Once the apricots are dipped in melted caramel, roll in pecans that have been ground up in a food processor, almost in a powdered form. Allow to set and then enjoy.
What could be easier! Here’s my recipe for Apricot Delights!
- Place pecans in a food processor (I used a mini processor), and puree'. Set aside in a shallow bowl.
- Unwrap caramels and place in a microwaveable shallow glass bowl. Microwave 20 seconds then stir. Microwave an additional 20 seconds and stir. If not melted, then microwave an additional 10 seconds and check.
- *Take an apricot and submerge in the caramel. Then roll in pecans and set aside on a parchment lined sheet pan until firm. (See alternative in Notes)
- Store covered at room temperature. Can be wrapped in individual serving bags for gifting.
- If wanting to make a large batch I'd suggest heating the caramel in a double boiler or using a heatproof bowl on top of a pot of boiling water.
- Stir until melted. Turn heat low to main the melted caramel. Be sure not to let moisture develop inside the bowl of caramel.
- Dip apricots into caramel then roll into pecans.
- Set aside on parchment lined sheet pan until firm.
Hungry for more? Savor these!
Tools used to make Apricot Delights: