Asian Barbecue Spare Ribs
I’ve always been a fan of BBQ ribs. Most often we prepare beef ribs, but when eating out typically they sell baby back pork ribs. However, there’s a restaurant in town that makes these super flavorful Asian Barbecue Spare Ribs that are so good, I’ve been dying to recreate them.
I didn’t have the recipe, but happened to be browsing one of my old cookbooks when I landed on the restaurants recipe. I was so excited I couldn’t wait to try it!
What I love about this Asian Barbecue Spare Rib recipe is that it can be made in the oven, which actually appears to be the choice of the chef. You can grill it as well, but oven cooking is the method they focus on.
With flavors of sesame seed oil, soy, garlic, ginger, honey and a touch of heat from Sambal Oelek (asian chili paste) when combined, has these flavors dancing in your mouth.
Serve these Asian Barbecue Spare Ribs, hot, cold or at room temperature. Enjoy as an appetizer or entree, and you can even prepare these a day ahead, then set out at room temperature the next day, ready and waiting for your guests to arrive.
These ribs are finger licking good so be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand, and maybe even handi-wipes.
This recipe whips up in no time, and is quite easy to prepare.
Give these Asian Barbecue Spare Ribs a try, and please share your comments below or on Instagram @vickibensinger.
Asian Barbecue Ribs
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Asian chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped (in processor if preferred)
- 4-6 pounds spare ribs, in racks
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees, or preheat a grill to medium low.
- Sauce: whisk together sesame oil, honey, soy, chili paste, garlic, and ginger.
- Season spare ribs with salt and pepper, and place ribs on rack set on a foil lined cookie sheet in the oven, or directly on the grill. Cook for 45-50 minutes. Turn frequently until golden brown.
- Baste ribs with sauce, then continue baking for 10-15 minutes more.
- Slice racks of ribs into individual ribs and brush them with additional sauce.
- Delicious hot, room temperature, or cold the next day.
Hungry for more? Savor these!