Vegetable Quinoa Wrap
Since we’ve been up in the mountains it seems all I’m craving are vegetables. On the other hand my husband and son always seem to be craving beef. Don’t get me wrong I love a good steak and a burger occasionally, but not more than once a week.
My favorite thing to do up here is bike. Colorado has paved trails that run from Keystone all the way out to Aspen. Of course I haven’t biked that distance, and quite frankly doubt I ever will, but who knows, I might surprise myself someday. I biked up to Copper Mountain the other day a nice ride uphill for about 18 miles. Riding uphill definitely takes a bit longer than riding on a flat surface or downhill, especially at altitude. By the time I arrived in Copper it was 1:oo pm. and I was feeling hungry, so stopped at an outdoor cafe to grab some lunch.
The bulk of the menu consisted of meat and fried foods, but I found this Vegetable Quinoa Wrap that sounded perfect to me. The waitress didn’t recommend it because she claimed not to like the taste and texture of quinoa. I of course love this super grain and was thrilled I ordered it – it was delicious!
I’ve since made this back at our place here, but honestly my iPhone photo at the restaurant looked better so I’m using that.
The wrap takes no time at all to prepare, in fact once you have the ingredients you can prep them the day before or ahead of time until you’re ready to assemble it. If you love the ingredients listed below you’ll definitely enjoy this wrap. Of course, feel free to add your own ingredients, and if you prefer meat in your wraps by all means add, beef, chicken, pork or fish to make it heartier.
This is a nutrient powerhouse of a wrap, I hope you’ll try it.
Vegetable Quinoa Wrap
This nutrient packed powerhouse wrap will sustain you throughout the day!
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (follow package directions)
- 1 raw beet, cleaned and grated
- 8 mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 roasted red pepper sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 Roasted Red Pepper Tortillas (or Tortilla of choice)
- balsamic vinaigrette (purchased or freshly made - 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar & 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Clean and grate beet root, then set aside
- For each wrap set out a tortilla on a flat surface. In the center of the tortilla lay 1/4 cup each of spinach and arugula.
- Place 1/4 cup quinoa on top of greens, handful of grated beets, 2 whole mushrooms sliced, 4 sliced roasted red peppers and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.
- Pull up the opposite sides of the wrap over each end of the filling. Then take one long side and fold tortilla over filling and continue rolling up like a cigar until filling is completely encased in the tortilla. Now you have a wrap.
- Slice wrap in half with a knife, plate and serve with fresh fruit, chips, fries, slaw or potato salad.
Endos Adrenaline Cafe in Copper Mountain Colorado