Goat Cheese & Fig Galette
Those of you that follow At Home with Vicki Bensinger know that I’m all about making things easy these days.
I love cooking but when you’re running all over the place all day long, easy is what I need when it comes to making meals. The same holds true if I have the desire to have dessert.
Honestly if it’s just me I’m not going to make a dessert. I have to be creating it for someone else or a group. Heaven forbid I’d indulge in my creations solo, I need to share the calories with others and watch them enjoy it as well.
I actually made my Goat Cheese & Fig Galette several weeks ago, but sometimes life gets in the way and blogging has to take a back seat. Even though my Goat Cheese & Fig Galette is a bit late getting posted, figs are still widely available for purchase at the market.
I saw these figs at the farmers market a few weeks back and couldn’t resist them. I knew I had some ready-made pie crust in the refrigerator at home so was confident I could create a luscious dessert. Then of course when I saw the farmers market goat cheese at another stand, and raw honey, I had my mind made up.
With these four ingredients I created a Goat Cheese & Fig Galette that was so flavorful it was hard to stop eating it.
Lately I’ve had a thing about galettes, and making them in a cast iron skillet. I’m not sure what that’s about, but sometimes we just get fixated on something and just can’t let go. I seem to be a master at that.
Anyway, if you’re a fan of figs I think you’ll enjoy this galette. If you prefer to do smaller portions then use a 6-inch cast iron skillet vs. a 10-inch one. Or create these in ramekins or even muffin tins for small individual servings.
No matter how you slice it, I’m certain you’ll love my Goat Cheese & Fig Galette!
Goat Cheese & Fig Galette
- I carton of fresh figs (approximately 12 figs), washed, quartered
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese (can sub other cheese of choice)
- 1 package Pillsbury ready-made Pie Crust
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey, melted
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Using a cast iron skillet roll out one package of ready-made pie crust or homemade, into the cast iron skillet - allow dough to hang over the edges slightly.
- Sprinkle a layer of goat cheese over the bottom of the dough. Drizzle with melted honey & sprinkle with fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Top with fresh figs.
- Bring the sides of the dough up & over the the figs. There will be a large opening left in the middle.
- Combine egg and water and brush over the dough. Place in oven and bake at 400F degrees for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hungry for more? Savor these!