Avocado & Artichoke Hummus
I felt like it was the holidays when the UPS man rang the door bell and handed me a big box. I couldn’t imagine what was inside. I hurried back to the kitchen to grab a scissors to open the box. When I opened it I saw that my friend from Melissa’s had sent me a large package of their products. Wow!!! There was such a large variety of goods I didn’t know where to start.
My mind has been mulling over what types of dishes I can create with all the goodies sent to me. Two of the items in the box were artichoke hearts and garbanzo beans.
I had an idea for a recipe that I’d hope would turn out well. After trying it, I loved it! Of course the true test was to see if anyone else liked it. Since my family wasn’t around I brought some over to my neighbors who are eager to test out my concoctions. They loved it as well, and were thrilled I brought over a container for them to savor for the next couple days.
I’m sure by the title of this article you know I created an Avocado & Artichoke Hummus. Just like your typical hummus, this time I added in artichoke hearts and an avocado making this spread extra healthy and creamy.
Artichokes are a superfood packed with antioxidants. Potentially having health benefits ranging from detoxifying and liver-cleansing effects to cholesterol-lowering properties, to providing anti-aging benefits and protection against degenerative diseases such as heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
Garbanzo Beans also known as Chickpeas also have a myriad of health benefits:
- They help lower LDL cholesterol (the ‘bad cholesterol’) levels and consequently reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- They are an excellent natural source of zinc and copper, two minerals that are essential for the development and function of immune cells.
- Since they’re high in protein and fiber they keep you feeling full longer. As a result they help aid in weight loss.
- It’s believed that diets rich in chickpeas may improve overall gut health by aiding the digestive system.
- Good source of iron.
- It is believed that chickpeas may also offer protection against certain types of cancers.
Add these along with avocados, tahini, and olive oil and you’ve got yourself a heart-healthy dip or spread that is sure to satisfy even the most discriminating palates.
I hope you’ll try this recipe………………………………..
Avocado & Artichoke Hummus
- 2 (9 oz.) boxes Melissa's Garbanzo Beans (or 15 oz. can), rinsed
- 1 (6.34 oz.) box Melissa's Artichoke Hearts, drained
- 1 ripe Avocado, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. Tahini
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients except salt in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt.
- If needed add more olive oil or lemon juice to adjust flavor to suit your taste.
Your hummus sounds amazing! I think I’d love to receive a delivery like that, too.
Artichoke hearts in hummus…a fascinating idea. I must give it a try too.
This sounds wonderful Vickie, I wish I was your neighbor!
Don’t you love it when the UPS man brings goodies? You really scored this time! Really nice hummus — fun idea. Thanks.
I love it when the doorbell rings like that. I love the idea of the artichoke heart tanginess in the hummus. Brilliant dip.
Aren’t those foodie packages wonderful??? What a wonderful hummus you’ve created!!
How very interesting, artichoke in hummus. Perfect. Great idea.
What a delicious version of hummus! I’ve never had it with artichoke and avocado before but it sounds wonderful 😀
I’ve never been a fan of “just” chickpea hummus, but when other ingredients are added I tend to enjoy it. I love the addition of artichoke, something I’m a HUGE fan of.