Antioxidant Rich Crunchy Chickpeas
Do you ever find yourself dying for something to snack on but nothing sounds good? Or you find something, but you know it’s not good for you? Wishing you had something prepared to satisfy a craving that’s not just good for you, but hits the spot? These Antioxidant Rich Crunchy Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) are guaranteed to do the trick.
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) have a delicious nutlike taste and a texture that is buttery, yet somewhat starchy and pasty. A very versatile legume, they are a noted ingredient in many Middle Eastern and Indian dishes such as hummus, falafels and curries.
Chickpeas have a list of nutritional benefits that when paired with warming spices will sustain you for hours without feeling stuffed or swollen. In fact, I like to think of this version like popcorn that I can crunch on, and not feel awful afterwards.
You can buy dried chickpeas to prepare this delicious treat, but for me I’m thrilled to purchase two 15 ounce cans that I rinse well, drain, and pat dry. Then I simply sprinkle on the spices I crave, and bake them in the oven until they’re nice and crunchy.
Perfect for parties, gift-giving, snack time, school lunches, sprinkled or chopped to garnish salads – they’re positively addicting and will have everyone asking you for the recipe.
When you rinse the canned chickpeas lay them out on a paper towel to dry them off. You’ll notice an outer layer that looks like tissue release from them. Not to worry, just remove the loose outer layer prior to sprinkling with spices.
Chickpeas have a host of benefits you might find surprising:
- Support your digestive tract – they’re high in protein and fiber with 2/3 of chickpeas being insoluble. With the insoluble fiber in chickpeas, our colon cells can stay optimally active and healthy. Healthier colon cell function means a lower risk of colon problems, including lower risk of colon cancer.
- Chickpeas contain a concentrated supply of antioxidant phytonutrients known to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- As little as 3/4 cup of chickpeas per day has been shown to lower our LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides in a one-month period of time. About one-third of the fiber in chickpeas is soluble fiber, and this type of fiber is the type most closely associated with support of heart health.
- Regulates blood sugar
- Increases food satiety which in turn reduces your appetite, resulting over a period of time weight loss, making them good for weight management
For more detailed nutritional information on chickpeas check out The World’s Healthiest Foods.
Since making this healthy and crunchy snack I find I can’t get enough of them. As soon as I see I’m running low, I make new batches, and store them once completely cooled, in a covered mason jar.
I am certain once you try these Antioxidant Rich Crunchy Chickpeas you’ll be creating this version or your own on a regular basis. Try them, and please share your photos on Instagram with comments @vickibensinger and please share your comments here at vickibensinger.com.
Antioxidant Rich Crunchy Chickpeas
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed, drained, and dried
- 2 tsp. avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chile powder
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Be sure to rinse canned chickpeas in a mesh strainer. Set out on a paper towel then cover with another paper towel and dry, removing any loose skin.
- Line a baking sheet (large enough to hold the chickpeas in a single layer) with heavy duty foil, or parchment.
- Spread chickpeas out in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Add oil and spices.
- Using your hands mix to coat evenly. Be sure chickpeas are in a single layer. Place in oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes, stirring midway through, then continue to bake until crisp. If desired: turn off oven and leave in for additional 20 minutes, for extra crispy.
- Alternatively: Bake in a convection oven at 350F degrees for 40 minutes (no need to stir). Turn oven off and allow to crisp for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container or mason jar.
Hungry for more? Savor these!