Farro Cake topped with Tomato, Avocado, Egg, and Arugula Salad
It’s hard to believe 2016 has already come and gone. How time flies! Starting off the New Year to many means a fresh start – healthier eating, lifestyle changes to incorporate more exercising, establishing new friendships, and to improve life overall making whatever changes you feel necessary.
Of course by the end of 2017 some of those goals may have gone by the wayside – having goals though is paramount when it comes to achieving a specific outcome. Only you can determine what you want to accomplish in 2017, and as long as you’re in the drivers seat (not someone else) you’ve got a great start!
If healthy eating is one of your goals for the New Year then you’ll love the recipe I’m sharing today.
Breakfast is my all time favorite meal of the day. I don’t recall ever missing a morning of breakfast even when all my friends in high school would skip it claiming it helped them to lose weight. For me it revved up my engine making me feel energized, and clearing my mind so I could plow forward with my day.
Of course breakfast in my opinion can be served anytime of day just like any other meal, except probably sugary desserts that can drag you down. So think sensibly when fueling your body, selecting ingredients with enough nutrients to sustain you through the morning, afternoon, or evening so you won’t feel the need to grab unhealthy snacks.
This Farro Cake with Tomato, Avocado, Egg, and Arugula Salad hits the spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner. What I love about it is you can prepare the Farro a day ahead adding the egg for binding just before placing in the skillet. Have the lemon vinaigrette prepared so all you need to do is add a drizzle to the Arugula, and toss. The rest is simple – slice the tomato, avocado, and fry the egg, then layer, and serve this towering masterpiece!
I love using these little cast iron pans by Lodge. They stack nicely in my cabinet and are ready whenever I want to create individual servings. Use them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even for individual desserts dishes. Plus they can go from the stove top to oven and table – just be sure to place a hot pad underneath the skillet prior to setting it on a table. How fun is that!
If you’re not familiar with Farro the Ancient Grain, head over to the post for my Farro and Arugula Salad to get the 411 on this healthy grain.
Avocados are a nice addition to this luxurious breakfast dish. They are so delicious, healthy, and easy to incorporate into your diet, and for good reasons:
- Avocados are incredibly nutritious containing more than 20 different vitamins and minerals!
- Unlike other fruits that are high in carbohydrates, avocados are high in healthy fats.
- Avocados contain more potassium than bananas
- Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy monunsaturated fatty acids – but they don’t just contain any fat… the majority of the fat in avocado is oleic acid.
- Avocados are loaded with fiber.
- Eating avocados can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- People who eat avocados tend to be healthier.
- The fat in avocados can help you absorb nutrients from plant foods.
- Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants that can protect the eyes.
- Avocados may help prevent Cancer.
- Avocado extract may help relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- There’s some evidence that eating avocados may help you lose weight.
In addition to the Avocado, a nice thick slice of a fresh tomato offers a myriad of health benefits as well as the sunny side up egg and arugula salad, making my Farro Cake stack a meal you won’t want to miss! Serve straight from the skillet for a fun, rustic, and healthy meal! I know you’re going to love this recipe!!!
Farro Cake topped with Tomato, Avocado, Egg, & Arugula Salad
- 1/2 cup dry Farro, cooked
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1-2 leaves of Sage, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup chopped onions or shallots
- 1/4 cup arugula, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp. Bread Crumbs (I used plain Progresso)
- 5 eggs, divided
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- 4 small finger fulls of Arugula for topping
- 1 lemon (approximately 1/4 cup (59 ml))
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (1/3 cup (78 ml) or to taste)
- 1-2 (7-14 grams) teaspoons honey or to taste
- Cook Farro according to package directions.
- While Farro is cooking combine thyme, onions, chopped arugula, garlic, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, pepper, and whisked egg to a medium size bowl and blend.
- Once Farro is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid add to the seasoned mix, and stir to combine.
- Add butter and oil to skillet. With a 1/2 cup measuring scoop add Farro mixture into patties and fry on each side until brown.
- In a separate skillet prepare 4 individual sunny side up eggs or if preferred over easy eggs.
- Salad Dressing: Make dressing by squeezing the juice of one lemon into a small bowl, then whisking in olive oil to taste until you get the right balance. Add honey to taste, and emulsify. Store in a jar and set aside until ready to use.
- Layer: In each skillet or on individual plates layer in this manner: Place Farro Cake on the plate, top with one sliced tomato, avocado slices to cover tomato, egg, and arugula salad. Sprinkle arugula lightly with Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Hungry for More? Savor these!