Towering Roasted Beet Salad!
There’s a restaurant in town called The Crossing that was written up in the St. Louis Magazine. In the article photos were shared of some of their dishes, one being a Roasted Beet Salad. After viewing that photo I knew I had to recreate this at home.
The first thing I needed was a cylindrical cube to place my salad ingredients into. If you don’t have one you can use a soup can by removing the top and bottom – use caution when inserting the ingredients for sharp edges. You can also have a PVC pipe cut, they come in various widths – select a suitable size.
My first attempt at adding the ingredients then carefully sliding them out of the tube, resulted in a total collapse. I called The Crossing to get their advice. The chef was extremely helpful and suggested I allow my goat cheese to reach room temperature. This would help “glue” the other ingredients together. It was also important to press down gently while adding each set of ingredients, and to dress the salad ahead of time, which I had already done. These steps would insure my tower would stand on its own.
In the recipe The Crossing makes, they combine mascarpone cheese with the goat cheese. I elected only to use goat cheese, although I’m certain mascarpone would have added a luxurious flavor.
My second attempt resulted in the photo above. I think it came out perfect with the exception of the ring of beet juice at the bottom. I could have wiped that up but didn’t for fear my towering salad would collapse. Next time I’ll be more brave.
I have to say this tasted wonderful, but why wouldn’t it? All the ingredients marry well together and are fresh and full of flavor.
I hope you’ll give this a try.
By the way, my birthday is at the end of the month and since I’ve never dined at The Crossing I made a reservation. I’m looking forward to trying their rendition of the Roasted Beet Salad.
Towering Roasted Beet Salad
- 2 Roasted Beets, or 1 pkg. Melissa's Beets, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (lightly tossed in vinaigrette)
- 1/2 an avocado, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- juice of a lime or lemon
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, room temperature
- Micro-greens for garnish
- Pistachios, crumbled for garnish
- Pomegranate vinaigrette or dressing of choice
- tall cylindrical tube
- jar or container that can pass through tube, bottom covered with plastic wrap
- On a salad plate place a tall cylindrical cube.
- In this order add and gently press between each addition: 1 cubed beet, 1/2 the goat cheese, cubed avocado that's been drizzled with lime juice, remaining goat cheese, another cubed beet.
- Gently press the top of the beet tower using your fingertips. Using your plastic covered jar or container lightly and carefully push through the salad while lifting up the cylindrical tube - leaving the beet tower to stand on its own.
- Garnish with Micro-greens on top and drizzle with pistachio dust and more dressing around the sides, if desired.