***National Shoe The World Day – Donate & Bake *** *HIGH HEEL CUPCAKES*
I’m guessing most of you didn’t know that today is National Shoe The World Day?
Each day, over 500 million children, teens and adults around the world do not have a pair of shoes to wear, and despite the terrain and the climate, they have to walk barefoot everywhere. It is a struggle each day that we cannot begin to imagine. Having to live a daily life without protection on your feet can lead to a lifetime of problems including pain, injury, cuts, sores, infections, parasites. Schools and business ban students and customers without shoes. A stigma becomes attached who do not have proper footwear effecting their health, education and financial well being. One issue leads to another, creating a never ending cycle.
There are a few who are fortunate enough to have one pair of shoes even though they are much too big for them. This way, their shoes will last for many years as they grow, and they are only allowed to be worn for special occasions. In other cases, they may have one pair of shoes that are too small and tight for them (they will make them work) but to have a pair at all is a luxury.
While in Africa I saw many children running around without shoes where there was cow manure and animal feces in their areas of play. Adults walking the streets carrying supplies barefoot and even some with one shoe on and one shoe off.
Adults walking the streets carrying supplies barefoot and even some with one shoe on and one shoe off.
There are people all over the world though living day to day without shoes to wear – something most of us take for granted.
On this National Shoe the World Day why not take the time to DONATE a pair of shoes, whether gently used or a new pair? To find out how, go to Soles4Souls and do your part. If you don’t have the time to donate today, that’s ok, any day of the week or year is a good time.
Making others aware is always a good thing and you can even make it fun by creating these High Heel Cupcakes that I shared 4 years ago. They’re super easy to make, and even more fun to create your own designs. Adults and children will all have fun coming up with their own style of shoe to create. But let’s not forget the real reason for this fun project – to help others in need of a pair of shoes.
Do something good and donate a pair of gently used or new pair of shoes today to Soles4Souls and make someones day! Then share with family, friends, and neighbors your own special treat by creating these High Heel Cupcakes!
Use the collage below to match with numbers in the recipe for a pictorial detail.
High Heel Cupcakes
- 2 cans white buttercream frosting
- Assorted gel colors for tinting the frosting
- Pirouette cookies
- 12 cupcakes (favorite recipe or box mix)
- Milano cookies
- White confectioners coating (Candy Melts)
- Sanding Sugar, various colors to match shoes and buttercream
- Cupcake liners, colorful or plain
- Candy pearls
- Pastry bag, disposable or reusable
- Pastry tips with couplers, various shapes and sizes
- Select gel color for icing and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Place icing in pastry bag fitted with a coupler (I used a Wilton 1M) or plain.
- Top cupcake with icing as desired. (Can also ice smooth and dip in sanding sugar or nonpareils).
- With a 2-inch round glass (I used a shot glass) press a small section into the edge of the icing.
- Remove with a paring knife, taking just the top layer of cake.
- Fill with icing.
- Take a Milano cookie (this will be the sole of the shoe) and ice a thin line around the border.
- Dip in sanding sugar or nonpareils.
- Stick one end of the Milano cookie into the area that was cut out and filled with icing.
- Take a Pirouette cookie and cut in half on a bias. Trim as needed on an angle to fit under the sole of the shoe.
- Melt 6 Candy Melts in a microwavable bowl for 2- 3 consecutive 30 second intervals, stirring in between until candy is melted.
- Dip an angled end of the Pirouette cookie into the candy melts.
- Adhere to the heel of the shoe. Allow to sit until candy melt has hardened.
They are absolutely adorable! Didn’t even know there’s such a shoe day 🙂
I didn’t either, I just happened upon it and thought what a great idea! So I decided to share it. How awful not to be able to afford a pair of shoes!
Such fun cupcakes! And to bring attention to a worthy cause! Well done.
Thank you Liz!
Nope, had no idea shoe day existed! Great cause, though. And wonderful cupcakes! Thanks.