Mum Cupcakes for Mother’s Day
Of all the desserts and homemade crafts I’ve ever created for Mother’s Day this is by far my favorite. I posted these last year but for those of you who may have missed it I’m posting it again.
These cupcakes look so difficult to make, but are as easy as buttering toast. In fact, even a 2 year old can make them.
So if you want to give a special Mother’s Day gift, or the kids want to make something this Sunday – this is it!!!!
Whether you make cupcakes and icing from scratch, or use a box mix and canned frosting, these will be stunning.
Follow my directions below or if you’re a visual learner like I am, then watch the video I created on How to Make a Mum Cupcake.
A simple yet beautiful cupcake bouquet to create for Mother's Day!
- 12 cupcakes (use your favorite recipe or box mix)
- icing of choice, any color
- sanding sugar or sprinkles (any color)
- miniature marshmallows
- candy ball, Good & Plenty, or Jelly Bean
- green licorice
- Cut approximately 40 miniature marshmallows in 1/2 on the diagonal, and set aside in a bowl.
- Have sanding sugar or sprinkles in a container
- Spread icing on the top of a cupcake. Do this one at a time, otherwise the icing will form a crust, making it difficult for marshmallows to adhere to cupcake.
- Dip each cut 1/2 of marshmallow into the sanding sugar/sprinkles and starting at the outer edge, add the dipped marshmallows to the cupcake, sanding sugar facing inward.
- After you finish lining the marshmallows on the outer edge in a full circle, add the next row in front of the previous circle. Continue adding the marshmallows - be sure to put them close together - until you've added all of them. You should have an empty spot in the middle.
- Add a candy ball, Good & Plenty candy or Jelly Bean in the center.
- You've now completed one cupcake.
- Continue with the remaining cupcakes. When finished, arrange on a platter and using green licorice, lay next to base of cupcakes to resemble stems.