Gooey Butter Cookies with Coconut and Dark Chocolate Chips!
My family loves cookies, but when we travel I hate purchasing ingredients that I know we’ll never finish up before going back home. These gooey butter cookies are perfect, with just a few ingredients, and very little leftover.
I will say I prefer cooking from scratch, but some of my favorite cakes and cookies are what Sandra Lee would call, semi-homemade. That’s just what these Gooey Butter Cookies are. Only this time I decided to jazz them up a bit, with the addition of coconut and dark chocolate chips.
What’s great about this recipe is you can doctor it up with ingredients you love, cake mix of choice, or just leave as is, and they’re still sensational. I prefer to prep the batter a day ahead, place in the refrigerator, then scoop out and place on a cookie sheet the next day. Better yet, go ahead and roll them up, and place in the freezer to have on hand. Then when you’re suddenly surprised with guests at your door, pull them out of the freezer, defrost 5-10 minutes, and place in the oven. Your guests will be pleasantly surprised.
If you haven’t tried homemade Gooey Butter Cookies before, with or without Coconut and Dark Chocolate Chips, you’re in for a real treat.
Here’s the recipe….
Gooey Butter Cookies with Coconut & Dark Chocolate Chips
1 box Yellow Cake Mix (or Red Velvet, Chocolate, etc)
1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 12 ounce package dark chocolate chips
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Combine cake mix, cream cheese, butter, egg and vanilla with an electric mixer.
2. Then fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
3. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. With a cookie scoop or teaspoon take batter and roll into a ball - walnut size.
5. Roll in powdered sugar and place on parchment or foil lined cookie sheet.
6. Place cookies in a preheated 350F degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until edges start to slightly brown.
7. Remove from oven. If desired sprinkle with more powdered sugar or simply serve, and Enjoy!!!