Grilled Salmon Burgers & More for Father’s Day!
Father’s Day is Sunday and many of you will have family over to BBQ for the occasion. However, it’s also bathing suit season and even though you might like to indulge in the burgers and ribs, you’re really trying your best to watch the fat intake. So what can you do when the menu is burgers and chicken, or ribs and chicken and you want fish? Salmon Burgers to the rescue!
In addition to the other fare you’re serving why not add something healthy like Salmon Burgers along with Sweet Potato Fries, chilled Watermelon, Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad and of course dessert – Chocolate Cups filled with Ice Cream Sundae? OK so the dessert has a few more calories but YOU could use fat free yogurt in them.
I love these burgers and if you’re a fan of salmon you will as well. They’re moist, delicious and so simple to prepare. A one pound skinless fillet of salmon will make 4 nice size patties to pop on the grill or if preferred on the stove top or oven. Check out this recipe and I think you’ll agree these Salmon Burgers need to find a place on your Father’s Day menu.
Salmon Burgers with Spicy Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt (I used 0% but use whatever you like)
- 1/2-1 tsp. of Sriracha Sauce
- 1/4 tsp. Sesame Oil
Blend ingredients together. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
If prefer a milder sauce blend the Greek yogurt with 1/4 of the cucumber and a sprig of fresh dill. Blend in processor or blender, chill until ready to serve.
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skinned, cut in half
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (use whatever type you have on hand. I used fat free)
- 1/2 cup Panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 4 Whole Grain Hamburger buns
- 4 crisp lettuce leaves
- sliced tomatoes
- ribbon sliced English cucumber (with mandoline, cut cucumber in 1/2 and ribbon slice)
- Yogurt Sauce
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until well combined, leave slightly chunky like hamburger meat.
- Form into 4 equal patties. (Spray patties with non-stick spray to avoid sticking to grill.)
- Preheat the barbecue for medium-high heat grilling. Cook the burgers 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until just cooked through the center and golden brown. Alternately, in a large saute or grill pan add 2 Tbsp. of canola oil and turn to medium heat. Place the burgers in the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until just cooked through the center.
- Put a lettuce leaf and 2 slices of tomato on the bottom bun, place the burger on top, adding 2 ribboned, sliced cucumbers then top with yogurt sauce. Place bun on top and serve. YUM!!!
Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Peel and slice 3 Sweet Potatoes. Cut into wedges or using a mandoline cut into matchsticks.
- Line a sheet pan with heavy duty foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Lay sweet potato slices on pan and place in oven for approximately 20-30 minutes or until cooked how you like. (My husband likes them crispy).
Happy Father’s Day! Have a great weekend!