I love to eat cucumbers. So when a friend of mine sent me this article about them I was so shocked at their versatility that I thought I’d share it with you. Who said cucumbers were just for eating?
The Amazing Cucumber
This information was in The New York Times several weeks ago as part of their
“Spotlight on the Home” series that highlighted creative and fanciful ways to solve
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber
contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid,
Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area. (WOW)
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!! (DOUBLE WOW)
6.. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have
been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores
for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don’t have
enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its
chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also
9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a sliced cucumber and rub it
along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don’t have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa?
Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals
and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released
in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce
stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don’t have gum or mints? Take a
slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30
seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your
mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a ‘green’ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take
a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it
remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but it won’t leave streaks and
won’t harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and
slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers
that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
I’ll bet you didn’t know cucumbers could do so many things. I know I didn’t!
Man what useful things cucumbers are, thanks for the tips!
I know that’s what I thought.
Thanks for the comment.