Chocolate Triple Decker Bar Sundae
This weekend my kids invited friends up to the mountains so we had a house full. I decided since most were arriving around the dinner hour I’d have a nice big meal waiting for everyone that would provide plenty of leftovers.
The main course was my Sweet & Sour Brisket always a hit along with veggies, potatoes, and salad. The finale was an outrageously delicious, overly rich chocolate dessert with layers of something special for everyone, then smothered over a scoop of ice cold vanilla ice cream,ooey gooey hot fudge and heath bar bits. I’m pretty sure this is a heart attack waiting to happen but hey, we all deserve a treat every once in a while. Plus it would provide leftovers for all to nibble throughout the weekend.
I have to tell you I saw a photo of this dessert on Pinterest and the moment I laid my eyes on it, I knew I had to make it.
Of course, the Pinterest dessert was made the Sandra Lee way, Semi-Homemade which is always great especially when you don’t feel like fussing in the kitchen. But fuss, is my middle name when it comes to cooking and primping in the kitchen, so I decided to make it totally from scratch. However, I think it’s only fair to share both versions with you so first – the Semi-Homemade way and second, my totally from scratch, homemade version. Here they are:
Chocolate Triple Decker Bar Sundae
serves 12 -14
package refrigerated Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Double Stuffed Oreos
Family Size Box of Fudge Brownie Mix
Jar of Hot Fudge
Ice Cream of your choice
In a 9×13 pan, sprayed with non-stick spray, take a refrigerated package of Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and line the bottom of the pan with the cookie dough.
Then lay a single layer of double stuffed Oreos on top of the raw cookie dough.
Follow package directions on a family size box of Chocolate Fudge Brownies and spread over the top of the Oreos.
Bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for 30-45 minutes until firm but not hard. I prefer mine soft, however if you like your cookies crunchy you might allow for 45 minutes.
Let cool. Then cut into squares and top with ice cream scoop of your choice, drizzled with Hot Fudge and topped with Heath Bar crumbles.
So good and oh SO RICH!
MY HOMEMADE VERSION:
Note: I melt my butter instead of softening it. DO NOT BAKE YET
Prepare ingredients for cookie dough then spread out onto bottom of a 9×13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
2. Package of Double Stuffed Oreos – lay Oreos out in a single layer over the top of the cookie dough.
3. Make homemade Chocolate Brownies – Ever since The Silver Palate Cookbook came out in 1982 by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins their fudge brownie recipe has been my favorite. So rich and full of fudge – they’re simply the best. Here’s the recipe
Directions for Brownies: Prepare batter then spread over the top of the Oreos. I didn’t add any nuts to my brownie batter.
Now that you have all the layers together, place in a 350F degree oven and bake for 30 minutes or until done to your desired texture.
Hot Fudge – While the Chocolate Triple Decker Bars are baking in the oven whip up a batch of thick rich hot fudge. So easy to make and perfect everytime. This is a recipe I’ve been using forever. I first tasted it as a little girl when my family use to vacation over the holidays and eat at Juniors Restaurant. This is Juniors Hot Fudge recipe.
Hot Fudge Recipe
- 1/2 C. unsalted butter
- 3/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C. heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cocoa, chocolate, and salt, and cook until the chocolate melts.
- Slowly stir in the milk and cream and heat until the suace is smooth and warm. Stir the sauce constantly and watch it carefully so it does not boil or stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Store any leftover sauce in a covered jar in the refrigerator. To reheat add an extra tablespoon or two of cream and stir constantly over medium heat until hot.
- To finish the dessert: Place a scoop of ice cream on square of the Chocolate Triple Decker Bar and smother in hot fudge, then top with crumbled health bars.
- DELICIOUS & RICH – ENJOY!!!