Mum Cupcake Bouquet & Video
Mother’s Day is this weekend and I can’t think of anything more special than creating a gift to give to that special mom in your life.
This Mum Cupcake Bouquet says it all. It’s not only pretty but pretty darn tasty too!
That’s because this Mum Cupcake while it may look like a beautiful mum, is actually made with marshmallows dipped in colored sugar. Then each marshmallow half is strategically placed on an iced cupcake (homemade or store bought) to create what looks like a colorful mum.
Add some green licorice sticks and this truly looks like a bouquet.
I first shared this back in 2014. It was such a hit, I’ve been sharing it every year since just in time for Mother’s Day.
While these may look hard, they’re really quite simple to create. I’ve taught these to kids as young as 2 years old, but adult supervision would be advised.
These Mum Cupcakes are fun for all ages. Just be sure to gather up all the ingredients ahead of time so you’re ready to enjoy creating your very own masterpiece of Mum Cupcakes.
To help make it easier I created this video years ago when just learning to shoot my own videos. It may not be the best video, but you’ll get the idea either way.
Here’s my video for creating this beautiful Mum Cupcake Bouquet.
For the full recipe see below.
Mum Cupcake Bouquet
- Cut approximately 40 miniature marshmallows in 1/2 on the diagonal, and set aside in a bowl.
- Have sanding sugar or sprinkles in a container
- Spread icing on the top of a cupcake. Do this one at a time, otherwise the icing will form a crust, making it difficult for marshmallows to adhere to cupcake.
- Dip each cut 1/2 of marshmallow into the sanding sugar/sprinkles and starting at the outer edge, add the dipped marshmallows to the cupcake, sanding sugar facing inward.
- After you finish lining the marshmallows on the outer edge in a full circle, add the next row in front of the previous circle. Continue adding the marshmallows - be sure to put them close together - until you've added all of them. You should have an empty spot in the middle.
- Add a candy ball, Good & Plenty candy or Jelly Bean in the center.
- You've now completed one cupcake.
- Continue with the remaining cupcakes. When finished, arrange on a platter and using green licorice, lay next to base of cupcakes to resemble stems.