I use to have this wonderful chocolate lab that I absolutely adored that loved to play with grapes. He use to throw them up in the air and roll around on them but never ate them. Of course if he had it wouldn’t have mattered to me, until now!
Today I read this article about grapes and your pet. This time of year I always have grapes in the house as well as 2 dogs I cherish. I wanted to share this information with my readers who also have pets, in the event they are unaware of this fact as well.
Did you know?
Raisins and grapes are forbidden fruit, for they can cause kidney failure in dogs; sadly, many pets have died from ingesting raisins. Although it’s not known exactly why grapes and raisins don’t agree with dogs, veterinary nutritionist Joan Weiskopf, author of Pet Food Nation: The Smart, Easy, and Healthy Way to Feed Your Pet Now (Collins) has a theory: “Grapes are a heavily sprayed crop, and since so many grapes are coming from Chile, I suspect there’s a pesticide that’s causing problems for dogs. Also, raisins are preserved with sulfites, which cause allergic reactions in many dogs.” (Be wary of foods preserved with nitrates, as well, such as sausages and bacon; delicious as these are, they too can trigger allergic reactions in dogs.)
Chances are if you read my blog then you love to cook. In addition to raisins and grapes the article talked about other everyday foods that can harm our pets. To learn more please read this article. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
Hi, I’m Vicki Bensinger! I have been teaching culinary classes throughout Missouri since 1992. I offer personalized private culinary classes for individuals and small groups in the comfort of your home or organization.
At Home with Vicki Bensinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide, a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.