Chicken Roulade with Basil Pesto
If you read my post on Thursday you know that this recipe was inspired by watching my new favorite show, The Chew. On Thursday I gave you the recipe for my Pesto Potato Salad with Tomatoes and Haricots Verts. I paired my Chicken Roulade with the potato salad. It was a splendid match. Drizzle some additional pesto over the chicken to complete this entree’. I think you’ll love it. It’s the perfect summertime dish and great to serve when companies coming.
Here’s the recipe…..
Grilled Chicken Roulade with Pesto Potato Salad
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, butterflied
kitchen twine or aluminum foil
1. Butterfly chicken breast or have butcher do it. Simply by taking your knife at the thick end and going from top to bottom, making an incision to open like a book. Do not cut all the way through.
2. Lay chicken on plastic wrap, smooth side up. Lay another piece over the top of the chicken leaving plenty of overhang.
3. Using a mallot, pound chicken breast to approximately 1/4 inch thick, being careful not to tear the meat.
4. Remove top layer of plastic wrap, covering the top of the chicken.
5. Flip chicken breast over so smooth side is down. Take pesto and spread over the butterfiled chicken breast leaving 1/4 - 1/2 inch border all the way around.
6. Take left side (#1) and fold chicken towards center.
7. Take right side of breast (#2) and fold toward center, just slightly overlapping left side.
8. Take bottom of chicken breast (3#) and carefully roll up breast like a cigar.
9. Using kitchen twine, tie roulade every 1/2 inch. Or if prefer simple roll up in aluminum foil, with shiny side in. Twist ends to seal.
10. Place on preheated grill at medium heat, for approximately 4 minutes on one side, then flip over for another 4 minutes.
11. Remove from grill and discard twine if using or unwrap foil and place over potato salad.
12. Drizzle with additional pesto if desired and serve.
This dish can be served warm or cold.