BBQ Salmon with Pineapple
Before coming out to Colorado I stopped in at my local grocery store, Schnucks, to pick up a few things. While there they have a stand called “Schnucks Cooks” where they share a recipe that they’ve created and offer samples to all the shoppers.
On that particular day they had Sweet and Sour Meatballs. I love meatballs and although I try not to indulge too often in meat, I am always eager to see what new recipes they’ve come up with. Well the meatballs were delicious, in fact, I wish I could have had another but, didn’t want to sound like a hog, especially since they are offering samples to everyone.
So the other night I decided to make salmon for dinner. My daughter suggested I BBQ the salmon just like she and my husband had out to dinner a few weeks before. Of course, whenever I can, I’ll BBQ fish just so I don’t have any residual odors left in my house. There’s nothing worse than walking into a house that stinks like fish. Wouldn’t you agree?
I went to the store to get my ingredients and indeed it was superb! It’s simply an equal blend of BBQ sauce and Apricot Preserves that you combine together and spread over the salmon. I mean how easy is that?
If you wanted to change it up I think an Orange Marmalade would also be delicious or even Raspberry Preserves. If you wanted to add even more flavor, although it’s not necessary, add some butter and heat all three ingredients up in a saucepan and spoon over the salmon and grill, pouring some additional sauce over the salmon once cooked.
In addition, my daughter asked if I’d grill the pineapple that I had purchased which gets it nice and caramelized. Following her wishes I ended up with a beautiful and healthy plate of food to serve to everyone.
There’s nothing like a well balanced meal. When the meal is over you’re completely nourished and don’t find yourself running to the refrigerator or cupboard to find something else to fill your belly.
Here’s my recipe. I hope you like it. It couldn’t be more simple and luscious, and pretty enough to serve to guests.
BBQ Salmon with Pineapple
4 (8 oz.) pieces of Salmon filets
1/3 cup BBQ Sauce (whatever you like or have on hand)
1/3 cup Apricot Preserves
1 fresh Pineapple, sliced into strips, core removed
- Fire up the grill or turn on the gas grill to preheat.
- Blend the bbq sauce and preserves together, combining well.
- Slice the top and bottom off the pineapple. Carefully slice the skin off, slicing down from top to bottom. Go around until all skin is removed. Cut pineapple in half vertically, then slice each of those pieces in 1/2 and remove the core. Continue to slice each section into 3 strips for a total of 12 strips. You can also slice the pineapple in rounds. Here’s a pictorial demonstration.
- Place the pineapple strips on the grill
- Add the Salmon with the skin on (no need to flip the salmon and with the skin on it’s easy to remove it from the grates), skin side down.
- Slather the sauce over each piece of salmon, close the lid on the grill and cook for about 8 minutes on medium heat.
- After about 4 minutes open the grill and turn over each strip of pineapple. Continue to grill until the salmon is cooked, for about 8 minutes total.
- With a metal spatula, place the edge between the bottom of the meat of the salmon and the top of the skin. Gently glide your spatula under the salmon releasing it from the skin, remove it placing it onto a platter.
- Remove pineapple slices
- Lay 3 strips of pineapple onto the plate
- set salmon on top of pineapple and pour additional sauce over the fish
Simple, healthy, delicious and beautiful!