Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup
I love to cook but honestly I don’t always feel up to it. Yesterday was one of those days. I would have been thrilled not to make anything for dinner and eat whatever was in the fridge, but didn’t think that would go over well. So I decided after looking in my pantry, freezer and refrigerator, I would make an Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup.
Meals don’t have to be complicated to be tasty or expensive. Oftentimes, some of my best dishes come from items I discover in my pantry.
Now that the weather is cold here in the Midwest, soup is a favorite on my list. This Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup uses boxed Low Sodium Chicken Broth, fresh chicken breasts, crushed tomatoes, fresh & frozen veggies, garlic, and fresh spinach. It couldn’t be easier. In fact, if you had a roasted chicken on hand you could certainly use that in place of the fresh chicken breasts. Topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Of course, if you prefer a beef vegetable soup, simply use beef broth, beef of choice, and veggies. For strictly vegetable soup, use a vegetable broth and veggies or substitute the potatoes for pasta or your grain of choice – it’s that easy!
Perfect on a cold winters day or if you’ve got a cold or the flu. Snuggle up to this hearty soup………………………………..
Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 64 oz. box Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 24 - 28 oz. container crush tomatoes
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Yukon gold potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 20 baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 (5 oz.) box fresh spinach, rinsed
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add olive oil, minced garlic, and potatoes, for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, crush tomatoes, carrots, and whole yellow onion. Turn heat up. and when it comes to a boil, reduce heat to a slight rolling boil to reduce stock, for 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate and with a knife and fork shred or cut into small cubes. Place back into soup.
- Add corn, and green beans for about 15 minutes.
- Finish by adding fresh spinach until wilted and bright green.
- To Serve: Ladle into bowls and top with fresh grated Parmesan, and salt & pepper, if desired.
Note: I never measure when making this soup. I simply take my stock pot and fill it to the amount I want with liquid. If there's just two of us I make a smaller batch unless I want leftovers. The same applies to the veggies. Add as little or as much as you like. Use up any fresh or frozen veggies in your refrigerator or pantry to make this a hearty & healthy soup.
You're the cook so prepare the soup with ingredients you enjoy.
*Recipes similar to this that you might like to try are: