Roasted Olives

Roasted Olives

Do you ever get tired of bringing the same types of appetizers to parties, or for that matter to your own party?  There are certain dishes people come to love that I bring, and I’m sure you as well.  It gets boring though creating the same dish over and over again, even if it is delicious.

So why not break the mold this time, and create a platter or bowl of Roasted Olives?

Olives use to get a bad rap, but they actually have a host of health benefits that will have you filling up your plate.  Did you know olives are actually considered fruit?  Most people think of them as a vegetable.

The recipe below is so simple that even if you’re tired of making that same old appetizer, you could still have that, plus have time to prepare these Roasted Olives as well!

I recently made these for a class and they were gobbled up in a matter of minutes.

So check out the recipe below, and give these a try for an upcoming party – I guarantee they’ll be a hit.  Served in a bowl with some toothpicks, or with bruschetta on the side – everyone will be asking you for the recipe!

Roasted Olives

Yield: 8-10 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 miniutes

Ingredients:

6 ounces black pitted olives, drained
6 ounces Greek Kalamata pitted olives, drained
4.5 ounces garlic stuffed Spanish olives, drained
3-6 large garlic cloves, minced (depending on your palate)
5 or 6 fresh thyme sprigs
zest of 1/2 lemon, finely shredded
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.

2. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well.  Transfer the olive mixture to a foil lined sheet pan.

3. Bake for 20 minutes.  Cool then transfer to a bowl or platter.  Serve at room temperature alone, or with bruschetta.

Roasted Olives 1

Pin It

20 Responses to “Roasted Olives”

1. Liz — December 19, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

I’m going to have to try these! I fell in love with olives after eating some amazing ones in France. I forget how perfect they are for a pre-meal nibble :)

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — December 21st, 2013 @ 8:15 am

They are terrific for an appetizer or just sitting around with friends and having something to nibble on. People forget how great they are!

2. John@Kitchen Riffs — December 19, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

Roast olives are great, aren’t they? I have made any for ages – you’ve reminded me I’ve been missing out. Really nice recipe – thanks.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — December 21st, 2013 @ 8:17 am

It’s a great recipe and so simple. Of course you can make it your own by adding in other herbs and spices.

3. Angie@Angie's Recipes — December 19, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

I would never be tired of olives. They are so appetizing. Love your square serving bowl set too.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — December 21st, 2013 @ 8:18 am

I agree olives are so delicious! My bowl is part of a set from Pampered Chef. A friend of mine works for them and invited me to her party – that’s part of what I purchased.

4. easyfoodsmith — December 20, 2013 @ 4:56 am

I have never roasted olives. Sounds interesting…Need to try this.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — December 21st, 2013 @ 8:18 am

They’re delicious and it enhances the flavor. I hope you’ll try them.

5. Karen (Back Road Journal) — December 20, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

I agree with you and John, roasted olives are delicious…the heat seems to intensify their wonderful flavor.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — December 21st, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Definitely – I hope you’ll try my recipe. Thanks for stopping by.

6. mjskit — December 22, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

WOW! I’ve missed a lot while on vacation! Glad I didn’t miss these. I’ve never had roasted olives but that has got to change! These do look quite good Vicki! Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!

7. Catherine — December 23, 2013 @ 12:26 am

Dear Vicki,

A beautiful present to bring to any dinner party.

I love olives.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Blessed New Year.

Catherine xo

8. Juliana — December 23, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Wow, I never thought in roasting olives…now that I read your post, kind of make sense…I am sure that the flavor is very much enhanced after roasting…
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Vicki :D

9. 2 Sisters REcipes — December 23, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

Hi Vicki! Every time I stop by I am flabbergasted at all the recipes you make and I love them all. So much that I stay for hours drooling at all the photos at some of your posts. You are an amazing cook and teacher, and I look forward to seeing more in the new year! Have a Merry Christmas!!

10. Susan — December 24, 2013 @ 12:49 pm

I’ve never tried making roasted olives but we do love olives so I can’t wait to try this!

Happy Holidays, Vicki!

11. anne — December 26, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

Hi Vicki , just passing by to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Bountiful New Year !!!

I haven’t had roasted olives yet but yours look very appetizing :D

12. I never thought of roasting olives! These look so pretty and yum! Wishing you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

13. Daniela — December 29, 2013 @ 8:49 am

Hi Vicki!
    Sounds like a gorgeous idea for an appetizer.
    Happy Hoildays to you and your family!

14. Kathy — January 3, 2014 @ 9:00 am

These look so lovely and a perfect addition to any appetizer table! Happy New Year, Vicki!

15. Healing Tomato — January 14, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

It is a simple recipe but looks so very delicious. I can only imagine the aromatic smells coming out of my kitchen when I roast these olives. I am looking forward to experimenting with this recipe over the weekend. Thanks for a wonderful idea.