Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti

With the holidays quickly approaching, all I feel like doing is baking – cakes, cookies, pies, and biscotti.  I love biscotti and never feel stuffed after eating one or two.  I love them with my coffee, tea or even as a midday snack.  They’re so light and delicious!

A favorite recipe I’ve been making for years is Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti.  After viewing a biscotti recipe on one of the many blogs I frequent, I decided this morning when I woke up that I was going to make mine –  however, I thought I’d change it up a bit.

I had some delicious Blood Orange Olive Oil that I purchased from a store that recently opened  at Plaza Frontenac in St. Louis, called DiOlivas.  I love Olive Oil and Vinegar stores as you’re probably aware, if you’ve been following my blog for a while.  With a myriad of choices, each one delicious and unique in their own way (I was able to sample whatever I wanted), I walked out with quite a few varieties to take home and create, culinary masterpieces!

DiOlivas is a locally owned family business, so if you live in or around the St. Louis, Missouri area you should definitely pay them a visit.  If not, you can always purchase their products online – everything I tasted was so good, you can’t go wrong with any of them.

So, this morning I decided to make biscotti.   Instead of my usual recipe that I often make during the holidays, I decided to use my Blood Orange Olive Oil instead of plain Olive Oil, plus, add the zest of an orange.

OMG!  You have no idea how moist and delicious these were!  Even my daughter said they were the best biscotti I’ve ever made.

So of course I knew I had to share the recipe with you.  I know you’re going to love them.  Besides making them for yourself, don’t forget to package some up to give as a holiday gift.  Who wouldn’t love these?

Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti

1 ¾ cups, unbleached flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ cup dried cranberries

1 ½ cups pistachio nuts, shelled

Zest of one Orange

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300F degrees.  Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.

2. Using an electric mixer, blend olive oil and sugar together.

3. Then add vanilla and almond extracts and eggs, beating until the mixture is completely blended.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder until thoroughly combined.  On low speed, gradually add to the egg mixture.  Fold in orange zest, pistachios and dried cranberries.

5. Divide dough in half.  On the cookie sheet, form each half into a log about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide.  Space logs about 4 inches apart.  (Dough will be sticky so lightly moisten hands in cold water before forming into logs).

6. Bake in center of oven for 35 minutes or until the logs are light brown.  Remove from oven and turn heat down to 275F degrees.  Let logs cool on baking sheet 10 minutes.

7. With a large metal spatula, remove the logs to cutting board and using a long, sharp knife, cut each log on the diagonal into ¾ -inch slices.

8. Stand slices upright on cookie sheet and return to oven for 8-10 minutes, until they are light brown.

9. Cool biscotti on rack and store in a tin between sheets of waxed paper.  They can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

Enjoy!!!

Yum     Pin It

40 Responses to “Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti”

1. Anne Regalado — November 12, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Vicki ,that blood orange olive oil sounds wonderful ! I have yet to make biscotti though I’ve bookmarked several recipes already 😀 Your biscotti looks delicious ! Love the festive cranberry and pistachio combo !

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 12th, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

Oh biscotti is so delicious and perfect with coffee or tea in the morning. You really should try it. It’s not difficult to make at all but does require a few steps.

2. Guru Uru — November 12, 2012 @ 10:28 am

Perfect for holiday gifts… If I could share 😉

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 12th, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

It is perfect for the holidays or anytime. What did you mean when you said “if I could share.” Of course you can!

3. Angie's Recipes — November 12, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

They are PERFECT! Blood orange olive oil sounds really interesting.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 12th, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Blood Orange Olive Oil is delicious. I could drink it on it’s own, add to salads, put on fish or whatever you like with orange. You could even use Lemon Olive Oil and Lemon zest with these and it would taste wonderful. I like pairing the cranberries with the orange, it seems like a perfect marriage.

4. Shema George — November 12, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

Blood Orange Olive Oil is something new to me…sounds so good..I bet these would taste divine :)

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 12th, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

If you have never tried it you should order some. It’s delicious!

5. Lizzy Do — November 13, 2012 @ 12:05 am

I’m hoping I can pick up some blood orange olive oil at the little spice shop that’s not too far from here. Your biscotti sound phenomenal…and would make amazing gifts!!!

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:44 am

If not you can order them online at DiOlivas but I would think there’s a store nearby that would carry it.

6. mjskit — November 13, 2012 @ 2:45 am

These look SO good and I can’t wait to make them!! That blood orange olive oil sounds very interesting. Great recipe!

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:45 am

I’ve made this recipe for years but decided this time instead of using regular olive oil I’d try the blood orange and it made a huge difference in the taste – even my daughter noticed.

7. a. maren — November 13, 2012 @ 3:54 am

blood orange olive oil? that sounds so amazing. there is an olive oil shop not too far from my house, but i’ve never been there. you’ve inspired me to check it out…

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:45 am

I would bet they have some.

8. SavoringTime in the Kitchen — November 13, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

I was just thinking of making more biscotti so what perfect timing! I’ll have to see if our olive oil and vinegar specialty store carries a blood orange oil because I’m already in love with the sound of these.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:46 am

If you try them let me know what you think. I’m sure you’ll love them. I think I’ll make another batch to have on hand Thanksgiving weekend.

9. Lizzy Do — November 13, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

Hi, Vicki! I wanted to tell you my hint for cutting brownies. I always pop them in the fridge first…when they are cold, they cut perfectly! Of course, I’m not ever patient enough to wait for them to come back to room temp before taking photos, so they often loose their moist, gooey look…but they are neat and tidy :)

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:47 am

Sounds great! I’ll definitely remember that.

10. Ilke — November 14, 2012 @ 2:41 am

The olive oil sounds really interesting. I should see if Charlotte has that kind of interesting olive oil store.
    Thanks for a good biscotti recipe. I made one two years ago and have not tried since then. Pistachio is especially loved in this house, so I am sure it will be gone quickly!

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:48 am

I think you’ll like them. You can always change up the recipe by adding different nuts, dried fruit and even various flavored olive oils. Now I’ll have to come up with another variation.

11. Anonymous — November 14, 2012 @ 2:52 am

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12. Helene Dsouza — November 14, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Hi Vicki! I can see you are pretty busy with your Biscotti. I wish I could make this now, we don’t get cranberries here, I do have pistachios (of course, its essential!).

You know, your little present parcel reminds me of st.nickolas day, which is on the 6th. Usualy we give and get bags like that stuffed with oranges, st.nickolas chocolates, biscotti sometimes as well and other sweets.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:50 am

I can’t believe you don’t get cranberries. I’d be happy to send some dried ones to you but my guess would be that it’s not allowed to send food. If so, I’d be happy to.

So funny that my packaging reminded you of your little goodie bags. It must be the wrapping paper behind the bag.

13. The Café Sucré Farine — November 14, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Beautiful and so festive Vicki! I love your orange additions, what a wonderful flavor combination with the cranberries and pistachios!

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:51 am

Thank you. I hope you try them, they’re delicious!

14. Asmita — November 15, 2012 @ 3:30 am

Lovely biscotti. Perfect with my morning tea!

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:51 am

Oh I agree and even perfect with coffee.

15. Karen (Back Road Journal) — November 15, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

No matter how full I am after a meal, I always have room for a biscotti. Your recipe sounds terrific.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:51 am

Thank you for your comment and for stopping by.

16. Beth — November 16, 2012 @ 3:38 am

This sounds like a wonderful recipe, and so pretty as a Christmas cookie.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:52 am

I know they’re so festive and yummy!

17. Lizzy Do — November 16, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

Back to answer you about the twine around the brie. I kept it on just for the look when I served it. Once the pastry has cooled a bit, I think it would be safe to remove it…it’s pretty sturdy.

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:52 am

Good to know, it was so pretty!

18. Inside a British Mum's Kitchen — November 17, 2012 @ 3:11 am

Blood orange olive oil! what wonderful flavorings!! I’ve never made biscotti – it’s time I tried and this is just the recipe for it!!
    mary x

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:53 am

OMG you definitely need to try and make some. It’s so simple and they’re so good. Perfect with your morning coffee or tea!

19. scrambledhenfruit — November 18, 2012 @ 4:01 am

I love biscotti with my coffee! This looks and sounds wonderful with the orange olive oil. I’ll have to track some down because these sound perfect. :)

• Vicki Bensinger replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 3:54 am

If you can’t find any you can go online to DiOlivas, they can ship it to you.

20. Kitchen Riffs — November 21, 2012 @ 4:22 am

I’ve never had blood orange olive oil. I’ll definitely have to check out DiOlivas – the stuff sounds delish. And your biscotti looks to be out of this world. Good stuff – thanks.

21. Baker Street — November 22, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Never seen blood orange olive oil but I must keep an eye out for it! The biscotti looks amazing, Vicki! :)

22. Roz P. — November 25, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

Hi Vicki,

I just found your blog and love it! I, too, just made cranberry and pistachio biscotti, but added white chocolate! I used to live and work in St. Louis in the 70’s and loved it so much! Now following you!

Happy holidays,